Default XenDesktop 1030 Protocol Driver Error

I had an interesting case involving 1030 Protocol Driver Errors with several XenDesktop users. When I connected to their machine via remote support I was unable to duplicate the issue with my userID. Further investigation revealed there were several VMs running on XenServer that were hung in a shutting down state and the user sessions were trying to reconnect to those VMs. After forcing shutdown of those VMs everyone was once again able to connect to XenDesktop. I suspect there may be further underlying issues with the XenServer or a possible causal link with the outdated XenTools. I had done various searches for 1030 errors and didn't note any that described this particular situation so I thought I'd post it here just in case someone comes across the same issue.

XenServer 5.5 update 2
    Windows XP x64 with 5.5 version of XenTools (I've been unable to update them with this particular image)
    Last edited by Brian; 05-19-2010 at 04:00 PM.
    Brian Welchel
    CTXSupport.com

2. Cool XenDesktop 4 protocol driver error or 1030 error

The issue:
    A user logs in or is into VM and it freezes or stops talking to the DDC. The user tries to log off and power off their XP terminal. When they log on again, the DDC connects them back to the frozen VM or tries to anyway. Sometimes they get an error on the XP box that says that the XenApp server failed due to a “Protocol Driver error” using the old Citrix Receiver and a 1030 error using the latest Citrix Receiver.

The Resolution:
    In XenDesktop 5 you can go to the Help Desk Portal screen and search for the user to see what VM they are assigned to and restart or shut it down. We haven’t converted to XD5 yet. In XenDesktop 4 this is found in the “Search Results” section of the “Delivery Services Console”. You have to do an Advanced Search and select “Sessions By User” and type in the username of the user that is having the issues. Then you get the name of the VM that they are assigned to. You can then use XenCenter to shut down the unresponsive VM. That allows the user to connect to another VM.
    Last edited by TheGrue; 10-20-2011 at 01:00 PM.