Default Problem trying to run xe-toolstack-restart on unresponsive XenServer

Had a XenServer that was showing offline in XenCenter, which happens on occasion and is typically resolved by running the xe-toolstack-restart command. When I attempted the command today I got the following error message:

cannont remove /var/run/xapi_startup.cookie

I attempted a reboot from the command line and there were various messages stating the following:

rm: cannot remove '/var/lock/subsys/management-interface' : Read-only file system

The same message was displayed for various other items as well, and the system never completed the shutdown. I initiated a reset from the iLo interface (HP blade based system) since the system was no longer responsive. Approximately a minute after the XenServer screen was displayed the system halted and rebooted again, and upon the 2nd reboot the system booted normally. It was a very odd problem and certainly doesn't instill a lot of confidence. I'll update this thread if I discover any new information. The XenServer build is 5.5 update 2.
    Last edited by Brian; 03-01-2010 at 04:14 PM.
    Brian Welchel
    CTXSupport.com

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Had a XenServer that was showing offline in XenCenter, which happens on occasion and is typically resolved by running the xe-toolstack-restart command. When I attempted the command today I got the following error message:

cannont remove /var/run/xapi_startup.cookie

I attempted a reboot from the command line and there were various messages stating the following:

rm: cannot remove '/var/lock/subsys/management-interface' : Read-only file system

The same message was displayed for various other items as well, and the system never completed the shutdown. I initiated a reset from the iLo interface (HP blade based system) since the system was no longer responsive. Approximately a minute after the XenServer screen was displayed the system halted and rebooted again, and upon the 2nd reboot the system booted normally. It was a very odd problem and certainly doesn't instill a lot of confidence. I'll update this thread if I discover any new information. The XenServer build is 5.5 update 2.
    Gentleman,
    I'm facing this issue.
    Unfortunately, nobody has writed the solution for this issue, at least, I still not found by now.
    Please, if you have the solution answer here or send me an email.
    Thanks in advance,

SD

What hardware and which version of XenServer are you using?
    Brian Welchel
    CTXSupport.com