1. Default A question regarding drives in XenDesktop.

Hi guys, I've been set a task by my boss and I can't find the solution anywhere, so I figured I might get results here.

Basically, what he wants to know is if it's possible to spoof a user's personal drive (in this case U on Citrix so that it looks like a C: drive. The reasoning for this is that there's an application that we're trying to install and it doesn't have an option to change the drive letter (strange, I know). So, he wants to know if there's a way of spoofing that drive letter to allow this program to install properly.

Any help is appreciated .

I'm not sure I follow why you'd want to install it on the user's personal drive. Why not simply install it in the XenDesktop image on C? What program is it?
    Brian Welchel
    CTXSupport.com

3. Default

I've had a chat with some of the lads and it's an app we're trying to publish, namely MRI. The problem with it is that it needs to save files on the C: drive, but users aren't allowed access to the C: drive on Citrix. We're looking for a way to make it so that MRI believes that a mapped network drive is C: and saves the files there instead.

The only way to really get around that is to manually try to remap the local drives like we used to do in the old terminal server days. Make a copy of the VM, change the drive letter and path in the disk management utility, and run a registry search and replace and change every reference to C to whatever you change the drive letters too. I'm not 100% sure the local drives would map as C though. A better option would be to get them to simply use the Common Open File Dialog and let the users select the location manually. That's pretty poor and lazy coding in this day and age to have hard references to drive letters. Are you sure there's no way to configure the default save location? Even mapping the local client drives is not ideal. A network Home drive would be better.
    Brian Welchel
    CTXSupport.com

5. Default

Victory!

We fixed the issue using the Windows 7 symbolic link command.

Basically, MRI was a secondary virtual desktop that wouldn't detect any networked drives on Citrix, only local Citrix drives. What we did was simply to edit the image to have a symbolic link at C:\MRI which pointed to the user's personal drive U:, specifically U:\MRI. Now, whenever a user saves their reports into the C:\MRI folder it automagically copies them straight to the correct location on the U drive.

Some of the chaps who've been helped by this have named it computer wizardry

I wasn't familiar with SymLinks but I do see how they can be extremely useful. I appreciate you posting the resolution. This is something I'll definitely be using in the future.
    Brian Welchel
    CTXSupport.com